Thursday, May 20, 2010

You're Appreciated!

It's employee appreciation day at work.  Which means, it's the one day of the year we are allowed to wear jeans or capris and flip-flops.  And maybe even a casual-ish top.  (My boss is in a t-shirt!).  I often dream of this day.  How many mornings do I wake up and go "I'd be at work already if only I could wear jeans."  But, of course, on the day that I could, I seemed to be clueless on what to pair with my jeans.

At lunch, I went out to our fancy tent and lawn games.  The new OB/GYN (that I've met several times) introduced herself and asked me if I worked in the student health center.  I am going to take this as a compliment and imagine that I look so young and fresh in jeans and flip-flops that surely I couldn't be faculty (again - this is how I'm going to take that).

I was transfixed by our special entertainment from two of the students from our adopt-a-school across the street.  First, this middle schooler sang the most beautiful and encouraging song acapella (and it was so smooth - even though he was using a rinky-dink microphone in a tent and was obviously very scared).  Then, came my hero - the little guy that did the full dance to "Billie Jean."  Yes, you read that right.  An amazing 7th grade Michael Jackson impersonator.  I ran up front and clapped and cheered, because come on, these kids deserved it!  They were awesome!  And after my unfortunate childhood appearance on Country Boy Eddie and the number of nursing home tours and store openings I've been a part of through various performing arts organizations - these kids had my heart.  Of course I thanked them for coming out, and of course I frightened them with my awkwardness - perhaps even using terms such as "Don't Give Up", "You're My Hero", and "Dancing Doctor." 

To wrap it all up, I did my best to hit an Assistant Dean and Chair of the Psychology Dept in the head with a waterballon, took my free little cooler, and left.  I didn't even do the electric slide or the cupid shuffle (I am faculty after all). 

All in all - a great day.  I do love my job.

p.s. - I'm not kidding about the only day to wear jeans thing.  I wore them on the last day of work before the Christmas break - when we're the only ones on campus and we always secretly get to leave after lunch.  People kept coming by my office to call me a rebel.  And they were serious.

1 comment: