Since today is the day to remember fallen soldiers, I was reminded of a very profound moment I had on a flight a couple of years ago. Some coworkers and I had presented at a conference in Savannah, GA and were on our way back home. There were several soldiers waiting with us to board our flight, and the family of the man sitting across from me had been allowed to pass through security with him. He was older, and clearly of a high rank. His wife was emotional yet stoic at the same time. His adolescent daughter lost it when she hugged her dad goodbye and her mom took her and held her while he turned to his son, who appeared to be about 13 or 14. I listened as he told his son that he was the man of the house while the father was away and to take care of his mother and sister. I felt like I shouldn't be a part of this private moment, but had nowhere else to go, so I viewed it as a gift.
Once on the plane, the pilot announced that the troops were being deployed and asked us all to give them a round of applause, which of course we did. When we landed in Birmingham, the pilot came on again and let us know that the plane had been carrying a fallen hero. He asked if we would all remain seated until the soldier accompanying the body had deplaned and the casket had been removed. I can't really explain what the next five minutes on that plane were like. Nobody moved, except to look at each other in collective shock of the moment. The realities of war hit us all at the same time, when none of us were expecting it. Some people started quietly crying to themselves, but nobody said a word. Finally, the pilot said we could deplane, but still nobody spoke. The moment stayed with our group as we carpooled back home.
I shared this story with a friend that is a former Marine and long-time Navy wife. She said the pilot must have been former military because commercial flights carry fallen soldiers home all the time and keep passengers unaware, thereby keeping us in our bubble of not having to think about these things.
Thank you to our service men and women and their families.
No comments:
Post a Comment