Monday, May 3, 2010

Weathered

Spring has always meant unstable weather in the South, but this year has been especially severe. With the tornadoes and the floods and the oil spills, my home states are struggling right now.  Thankfully, my friends and family are all safe, even if momentarily displaced with a big mess to clean up. 

I have only recently thought of myself as a true Alabama girl instead of a Tennesseean, and I've still lived there longer than anywhere else.  Jackson was the best possible place to grow up and Nashville has my heart.  Today's pictures of a flooded Opryland Hotel and Grand Ole Opry have literally blown my mind.  I can't really conceive it.  It is such a sacred place from my childhood and college years.  (My college roomate and I seriously considered chaining ourselves to the front of Opryland when it was scheduled to be torn down.  Long live the Wahbash Cannonball and the Grizzly River Rampage).

I do request that anyone out there in blogland would say special prayers for all of the people affected by these acts of nature, but most of you already are because your family is there too.

Side note - I have learned that one of the many consequences of walking your dog while checking facebook is that she may pull the leash and make you unintentionally "like" a picture of a friends flooded basement and floating water heater.  Clearly, I did not "like" that.


Minnie Pearl and Grand Ole Opry memorabilia in the American History Museum.  Appropriately taken on the same day I moved home from DC.  I'm still so glad my Lizzy made me go and was there with me!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment