I was in need of a second job. Yes, I know I am a professor with a PhD and all - but that also means I was a starving graduate student for a VERY LONG TIME and I threw a year-long adventure to DC in there to top it all off. My twenties were a fabulous adventure, but an expensive one. Yes, I could have made some better decisions, but all in all I did what I had to do and now is my time to be fiscally conservative and wise.
When I got the opportunity to be a paid church nursery worker, I jumped at it. I mean, I'm at church anyway and where else was I to put a 2nd job? It's not glamorous and will not turn me into a high roller - but it's better than nothing.
After accepting the position, I momentarily doubted myself. I wondered, is this a matter of me not having enough faith that God will take care of me? Is this me trying to control the situation through works? When exactly am I supposed to rest so that I can be successful and focused at my real career job? How am I supposed to meet people at church and make new friends if I'm in the nursery?
Instead, I found that my first Sunday morning of childcare grounded me. It reminded me how blessed I am to have my career. It reminded me of the intrinsic reward of working hard and being diligent, which isn't always apparent when sitting at a desk all day. It somehow grounded me and reoriented me to myself and who I was over 10 years ago when childcare got me through college. I also met new people and families at church that I otherwise would not have really known.
The Friday before I started the job, the following was the scripture of the day on my desk calendar. I thought it summed it all up pretty well.
"Better is a man of humble standing who works for himself than one who plays the great man but lacks bread." Proverbs 12:9
I can definitely empathize. Humility is key when you are cleaning a coffee shop toilet thinking, "and why did I get those two B.A. degrees again?"
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you found something, though, that you can enjoy. God is so faithful to provide for us.
Yes, he most certainly is! And this is good for us, right?
ReplyDelete