Monday, June 27, 2011

Food, Glorious Food

I've been out of town for over a week now and I'm starting to miss home.  Despite this homesickness, the city makes me accutely aware of how "unhealthy" and homogeneous my town is.  For over a week, my main form of transportation has been my own two feet.  The truth is, I really like this.  I really like walking everywhere.  Granted, it has its drawbacks - it's not fun in the rain, you get stinky in a short period of time, you go to work half dressed and finish when you get there, there's no quick way home, and toting bags around can be exhausting.  Regardless, walking is invigorating.  And the amount of walking done here in a day for basic function is at least equivalent to a day's worth of intentional exercise back home.  I'm always amazed that people living here walk this much for work, eating, and shopping then go home and change to go out for a run. 

Another reason why I like walking so much is that it balances out the amount of food I've eaten here.  The variety is amazing.  And did I mention that the food is good?  As in, it has actual flavor?  This is truly what I'll miss most and what makes me the most sad at home - the lack of tasty food options.  Before you get upset, no - I am not discounting our fine bbq and catfish.  We've got a few things that we do really well.  It's all the rest of it we're not so hot at.  Then, there is the overall lack of real sit-down non-chain restaurants at home - which is used as an indicator of poverty (sad, but true).  For a foodie like me, the neighborhood where I'm staying is like a Shangri-La setting me up for future disappointment.

In this adorable community, I've had:  fresh seafood, French food (Twice! Rrom 2 different places!  And a third I haven't tried), Italian, Spanish tapas, Mediteranian, great salads, and New York Pizza.  This does not even include my dessert indulgences.  All of these restaurants are within 4 blocks of each other and my hotel.  Tonight, I watched an hour of How I Met Your Mother while eating my legit city pizza and my fancy tv show cupcake while sipping on a gingerale.  I felt a little like a rock star.  I know I need to slow it up so I can fit in my clothes for the plane-ride home.  And I will, really, I will.  The indigestion I'm ignoring will stop me if nothing else will.  Just let me try the Indian and Vietnamese places first. 

This trip reminds me that I can make all of this yummy food at home myself, I just have to put forth the time and effort.  That's why I keep taking pictures of menus - to get me out of my at-home food rut. 
I also know that I am priveleged to have a car and to have the opportunity to drive it and park it.  I'm sure I'll miss my car when I'm tracking 2 weeks of luggage back home on the train. 

No comments:

Post a Comment