Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Where did 5 years go?

Here is today's challenge question:

There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

What would you say to the person you were five years ago? What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?(Author: Corbett Barr)

Five years ago, I was in the middle of my dissertation.  I had left D.C. and returned to AL.  I was back in grad student waste land, but a decidedly different person than I was before.  I think I somehow lost the space between then and now because I'm not sure what I've done since then.  I still feel like a newbie at PhD-ing.  But, here is what I would tell myself:

Trust your gut.  You have discernment, trust it - in the good and the bad - in regards to all the different voices and sources of information.  Don't get swept up in the manipulation of heightened emotion and lose yourself.  You know who you are, now be it.  Be yourself proudly.  Tell people no when you know to say no, and when you want to say no.  Don't let others control your time and your life.  Hold your head up.  You're good at what you do, now do it.  Don't sit on your laurels, but keep working hard everyday.  Oh - and when your body starts acting crazy and you really need to go to the doctor - go to the doctor.  That's not simply what the 30s feel like - you are actually sick.  Don't lose sight of your heavenly freedom. 

Now, what would I say to me 5 years in the future?  Hmm...How about...

Get down with your bad self.  Have fun.  Keep saving money and spending it wisely - but go on a fun trip somewhere wonderful!  Use any extra money to hire a housekeeper.  Adopt if you want to and can make it work.  Have a baby if it's got a Daddy that has put a ring on it.  Take mental health breaks from parent caregiving.  Have people over for fun dinner parties.  Relish who God made you to be.  Let it go.  Don't give up on loving people or believing that love is out there.  Run for office if you're still thinking about it.  Exercise and eat your low potassium vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment