Thursday, June 2, 2011

I'm pondering, I'm pondering...

There are already 3 prompts on the challenge, since it seems it started on May 31st.  This one kind of threw me for a loop:

"The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?"

This threw me for a loop - because I don't think I have an answer for this question.  Granted, I've only been thinking on it 5 minutes or so - but I don't think I have one strong belief that is not shared by my closest friends and family.  This prompts the question of whether that is a bad thing. 

I am (hopefully) unabashadly a woman of faith.  My worldview is based on my belief that God loves us so much that He sent his son Jesus to die on a cross to set us free from the enemy of our souls and from ourselves.  Because of this, I seek out people with this same perspective.  Even if someone does not perfectly align with this belief, at a bare minimum they are a person whose actions are motivated out of love and healing or I don't really want them around.  Or, at least not in the inner circle of my life where I ponder and share and seek wisdom.  If someone does not share my heart's priorities, then they're sure not going to understand the choices I make.

Sometimes, these shared beliefs can lead to one area of tension, that being my belief that sometimes it is good and necessary for me to be around people that are different from me. (Hopefully, it's good for the different people I'm around too).  This is a continuous Christian struggle because there is no magic line that says you can go this far before your faith is diluted.

 After this - the only truly discordant beliefs I have left are:
1.)  I think it is probably a good idea for Christian conservatives (and followers of any political party) to think for themselves sometimes,
and
2.)That I continue to passionately dislike mushrooms regardless of my friends and family's love for them.
oh, and
3.) Sometimes I just want to be a hippie for a day and that freaks some Southern folks out.

No comments:

Post a Comment