Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Week Without Makeup & a Few Favorite Things

** totally fluffy post alert **

I've gone a week without wearing any eye makeup, which basically comes down to a week without makeup unless you count tinted moisturizer and a little bronzer because let's face it - nobody always has their lips on no matter how much gloss we buy.  No, I didn't take some magazine self-discovery challenge and I'm not fasting makeup.  I had an unfriendly eye infection, which also kept me from holding my new great-nephew for a whole 24 hours! 

Going without makeup didn't phase me much because I'm not one of these women afraid to go in public without it or that goes on a talk show to reveal her face without makeup for the first time to her husband of 40 years.  However, it did make me think about why I wear it everyday and spend so much time and money on it.  Turns out, I really like the stuff.  Like, a lot.  It's fun.  And it plays a role in society and image whether we like it or not.  I mean, I had to introduce myself to a new class of students without a lick of mascara.  And with short hair.  That look can go from feminine to femi-nazi real quick, so strategy is required.  It can also be a challenge to feel professional at a meeting without wearing makeup.  Silly perhaps, but true.  Turns out that defined lashes build both respect and our game face.

Which brings me to the saddest part - the throwing away of the pretty indulgences.  Thankfully, the mascaras were almost up for throw-away anyway, or I really would have cried.  Especially after attending my church's financial conference last weekend (p.s. - financial programs are all ran by men with no clue how much a woman's hair and makeup actually cost - even if you're thrifty.  Truth.)  Pictured below are 3 of my all-time favorite eye products that are currently in the bottom of my trash receptacle:
1.) The Lancome eye lash primer.  No, I don't know the name of it because their products have French names.  Yes, this is an indulgent product, but it really works.  It was purchased with the product below so that I could get the gift with purchase, which is pretty much THE fun thing I did on my staycation during early September.  So, while indulgent, still cheaper than a trip to the beach.  And, it keeps my lashes from drying out and boosts my mascara.

2.)  The Lancome Doll Lashes mascara.  Yes, I'm addicted to mascara but this one is my new winner.  It's the first one that has regularly elicited comments, including some from strangers.  Ironically, last week I was reading an article on what men think about new makeup and fashion trends wherein a  guy said he was pretty sure doll lashes sent the women's liberation movement back 40 years.  I disagree. 

3.) MAC Fluidline in DipDown.  This has been my go-to for almost a decade, even if I've only recently started wearing eye liner on a regular basis.  Why do people go to mac apple stores when they could be going to MAC stores?  I don't get it.

I also had to throw away this pretty Christmas special (mind the shadow dust):

This was my first stila product and I liked so many of these colors.  I understand why their company's success is largely attributed to their color named kitten.  It's the one in the middle, a pretty perfect champagne color that works on everybody and is almost the only eyeshadow you need (not as yellow in real life as it is in the picture).  Sadly, one pot of kitten eye shadow is the same price as this whole pallet. 

Thankfully, my Urban Decay eye primer comes in a tube these days and doesn't have to go away.  That would have mandated crying. 

Thus concludes my eye  makeup lament :).

No comments:

Post a Comment