Monday, January 23, 2012

To Live Life You Have to Lose It

"For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."  Matthew 16:25

This seems to be theme for these days.  It was the base scripture for my pastor's sermon yesterday, the lesson in a favorite author's blog post today, and the surrender in a dear friend's blog post this morning.  My pastor used it as the way to overcome anger and to live a truly happy life.  Ann Voskamp used it as the way to really truly love life and the people you're blessed with. My friend realized it was the key to unlocking her adventure.

It has definitely been a profound lessson of the past year of my life, and something I sorely needed to be reminded of on this 16th day of 21 days of prayer and fasting.  On a morning that has been hard for no apparent reason other than waking up with a nagging disappointment.  Much of this externally symbolized by yet more local destruction from the night's tornados, a mother again too sick to make her specialist appointment, and more manuevering by coworkers. 

But I do know this scripture is one of life's mysterious truths.  And this reminder is how I jump back into living the musical with joy - and that it's gifted grace that I can come to God for new mercies every morning (or every 2 hours). 

I recommend each of the links below if you'd like a reminder of your own:

Soul Therapy, Part 3, Anger:  http://churchofthehighlands.com/  (Or, as Pastor Chris called it - not the way to grow a church but the way to grow people).

Why You Really Need to Think About  Losing (Because This is How You Win) by Ann Voskamp

Moment of Surrender by Andrea Lowe

No comments:

Post a Comment