Friday, January 6, 2012

Fasting and the Joy of Hominy

My church enters into 21 days of prayer and fasting this Sunday.  I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to talk about your fasting because that makes you a Pharisee, but I'm throwing it out there for accountability and hopefully some edification for others.  I've decided to go vegan for three weeks (with very few exceptions for medical reasons).  I know, to many of you this may sound like I've gone crazy-liberal-dirty-hippie.  If I called it a Daniel Fast, it would sound all spiritual, but that's actually a super strict vegan diet and I'm not giving up that much. 

I admit I have "selfish" reasons for doing this that are not directly related to spiritual discipline and that the distinction between the two need to be clear.  I've had health issues and a specific diet that's not working out so well and my body needs to hit reset.  I'm not daunted by the lack of meat or the added vegetables and grains because that sounds refreshing and necessary at the moment.  I am aprehensive about the time and planning required, but I understand that's still not really a "fast" but wise use of my time (although no doubt prayer and dying of the flesh will be involved when I make myself cook instead of drive-thru).  I was to give up dairy over a year ago, and for the most part I have.  But doing this fast means I will finally be giving up cheese.  Did you hear me people?  I said CHEESE! So, the grains and the veggies are for my body but I'm giving up the cheese for God. 

For those of you scared of the "science" or wisdom of this diet - don't worry.  I do have that PhD in health and have that part covered, and was actually told to become vegan by a nephrologist but hadn't yet.  The challenge for me will be fitting together the puzzle pieces of choices that will keep me under my daily potassium limit and I do request prayer for that.

More than anything, I'm cracking up that I'm using my Skinny B**** books as tools for my church fast.  My mom picked them up at a thrift store in case you're worried I paid full price.  Hey, God uses what He wants to use ;).

So, how does the hominy fit in?  Through the revelation I just had in the canned foods aisle of Target.  You see, I've been off beans for a long while now (which is actually part of why my body needs intervention - because they really are super foods!).  Beans may not be important to you, but I had to mourn the loss of beans in my life.  Chili has become my nemesis, especially when it flaunts itself in the fall.  I was thinking the plethora of yummy and healthy bean recipes were for naught in my life until I saw the can of hominy on the top shelf - my perfect bean replacement and my new best friend.

If you are also entering a season of prayer and fasting, then I pray you be blessed in the most personal and life-giving of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment