Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Thank God for a New Year :)

The days between Christmas and New Years Day tend to be my most contemplative of the year.  It's a time of re-evaluating who I am and where I'm at.  What do I want to keep and what do I want to chuck?  (chunk?)  And that question is regarding attitudes, behaviors, and patterns more than stuff - although I hopefully do some house cleaning as well :).  Hopefully, it's not a time of meaningless resolutions but of acknowledging that the days are meaningful yet fleeting. 
2011 was rough.  And that's an understatement.  I won't go through the laundry list of why, just trust me here.  I even tried to start the year over mid-way in June, but that didn't really work out.  I know it was all for a reason.  I know I'll look back at some point with greater understanding, and maybe even consider myself a youngster despite this year's challenge of aging.  I get that I'm supposed to stop feeling like a little girl and come out with guns blazing a la grown a** action hero (meets Mother Teresa, of course).  I have officially broken up with people pleasing, even if it's like the bad boyfriend you stay with for 10 years just because it's comfortable.

The lessons I am most grateful for from 2011are:
  • Always show love and kindness to people when you have the chance.  Don't hold back.
  • Be full of grace and mercy.
  • Joy comes from gratitude, and there is always something to be thankful for.  Always.  Somewhere.  Even if it's hiding under a rock.
  • It is not possible to always avoid conflict.  Sometimes doing the right thing creates conflict and ya gotta be grown enough to take it.
  • And most of all:  "This is always the thing:  God is always good and we are always loved."  Ann Voskamp 
May 2012 bring you more blessings than you know what to do with :).

No comments:

Post a Comment