The new book The Circle Maker is lighting up the twitterverse. Granted, I could think this because I follow the author on twitter :). This book was written by my former DC pastor, Mark Batterson. He likes to take stories from the Bible that seem hidden and make them real and applicable. This book sounds to be about a guy named Honi that boldly drew a circle around his prayer for his people.
My current pastor, Chris Hodges, tweeted that he is reading this book as our church gets ready to enter 21 Days of Prayer in January. Sounded like a good idea to me, so I just ordered the book to do the same. Not because I'm a lemming, but because I want to and think the book sounds right on time :). I'm hoping to start 2012 with some intentional prayer action.
By the way, going to National Community Church (aka - The Theater Church) is probably why I never thought Church of the Highlands was weird. NCC has 7 locations and started in a movie theater, and sometimes you catch a sermon live and sometimes you watch it on a screen. They had free coffee and donuts every morning, which really brought in the homeless surrounding Union Station, which meant you never knew who you were going to sit by during service - just as it should be. While I lived there, their dream of operating a coffee shop came true and they opened Ebeneezer's, which I was thrilled to visit again this summer. I did a lot of church visits during my time in DC and it's an extra weird place to look for a church - but I was always impressed by the heart and leadership of NCC. Much like us at Highlands, they often found themselves being part of a glorious and unexpected movement of God.
Here's a link to more info on the book (it has videos and stuff). I'll let ya know what I think!
http://thecirclemaker.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment