Today is one of my most favorite days of the year - my work Thanksgiving lunch. We create a pot-luck line that basically stretches the length of the first floor of the building. Kinda like the world's longest yard sale - but with good food.
The weather is changing and I am totally needing to do laundry so I had no clue what to wear today, much less what "thanksgiving-y" outfit I could put together. There was no way I had any pants to wear. I wonder how often men have this problem - where they stand staring at their closet for 5 minutes going "I have no pants". Trust me, the average tall woman is always low on work pants (yet another reason to wear dresses and fun tights!). Most stores do not carry women's dress pants in tall in stores and they are online or special order only. This means they are not often on sale and usually the kind that require dry cleaning. This is why I have worn my Old Navy tall black pants for about 10 years, even if both of the hems are out and if the fabric is running thin in the thighs, because these pants can be both washed AND dryed in the machine and wrinkles fall out of them. But back to my closet and having no pants - I looked and saw that there was a pair of brown corduroys pushed all the way to the left! I don't even know the last time I wore them. I forgot they were there. And today being a quasi-holiday on a Friday and these being totally fall meant I could get away with wearing them! I remembered that they hang alone because I can only wear them on skinny days. Then, I remembered that even on skinny days they are not the most comfortable or flattering. Regardless, praise the Lord I made it to work with pants on!
On a more serious note, I've had a revelation recently. One of those that in immediate scope is pretty small, but when applied to life is pretty big. I'm talking about those judgements we make in life because of past experiences or mental associations. These can be sweeping judgements about ourselves or others, or about the most random of items. I firmly believe that each rejection of one of these judgements is a victory.
This week, my victory has come in the form of pistachios. You see, I have sworn up and down my whole life that I didn't like them. But, you know what? I can't recall having tried one until about two weeks ago. Some friends were snacking on them and I thought, "Why not?". Turns out, I really like pistachios. So much, that I bought some just for me last night. I didn't think I liked them because of an association and judgement I made of another person when I was a kid.
Don't let these associations keep you from things that God means for you to enjoy. Pistachios are no less for me to enjoy because a mean person liked them in 1983. So, I say, bring on the Pistachio Gelato!! (or whatever that victory looks like in your life).
Image from here

No comments:
Post a Comment