Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Short Cut Dressing

We had a little small group Thanksgiving dinner last night.  I wanted to make dressing because it is my favorite food and I wasn't sure I was getting any this year (other than what I had at my work extreme pot-luck). 
The prospect of dressing was discouraged by two things:  1.) my lack of a full-size working refrigerator, and 2.) the amount of time and effort it takes to make real dressing and I needed it on a work night, 3.) the fact that one recipe of real dressing feeds an army of people and I needed to feed 5 tops.
So, I decided to take some short cuts and see how it worked out.  And heaven knows I have trouble sticking to a specific recipe as written.  I didn't think it would be real official dressing, but I didn't think it would be "bad". 
Thankfully, it turned out pretty great!  Or at least my kind friends that ate it said so, and I liked it even though I am super duper picky about the stuff.
It also gave me the opportunity to use my Le Creuset fruit shaped mini-casseroles!  How happy was I?
The rest of the dressing went into a lasagna pan.  It still made a lot, but not a Mamaw's house amount.

I know you are sitting there anxiously awaiting my shortcuts.  I'm just sure of it.  Here they are:
  • I baked one can of Publix biscuits - just the regular butter kind.
  • I baked one can of Publix crescent rolls - just to mix it up and see what it would do.
  • I baked one pone of cornbread - using cornmeal mix (the kind that you still have to add all the ingredients too but isn't flat out cornmeal.  Not the Jiffy box). I did not have time or space for buttermilk, so I made it with a can of evaporated milk.
  • I used one frozen bag of Publix chopped onions.
  • I used one bag of frozen bag of Publix chopped celery/green pepper/red pepper/parsley mix (I'm pretty sure my mother thought this would ruin it all - but it made it yummy!).
  • I picked up a rotisserie chicken on my lunch hour and pulled it apart when I got home and never boiled an ounce of chicken.
Yes, semi-homeade dressing is possible for you  - even if you're not your Mamaw.

Here it is all written out if you'd like:

Short-cut dressing or dressing for women with a full time J-O-B.


1 can Publix biscuit
1 can Publix crescent rolls
1 pone cornbread
3 cans chicken broth
1 bag frozen Publix onions
1 bag frozen Publix celery/pepper/onion/parsley
5 eggs
Poultry seasoning to taste
1 can cream of celery
1 can cream of chicken
Rotisserie chicken


Bake bread & tear up in a giant bowl. Pour chicken broth over bread.

Sauté onions & veggie mix in butter in a pan until thawed & tender.

Mix veggies into bread mix. Add poultry seasoning as desired. Refrigerate overnight. (or freeze ahead if needed - I froze one night & thawed the day I cooked).

Then, mix in cans of soup and 5 eggs. (Eggs, soup, & chicken broth can be adjusted to preference).

Pull rotisserie chicken off the bone and shred with fingers. I added the majority of the breast and no dark meat, & no skin. Stir into dressing mix. Pour dressing into pan & bake.  Bake at 350 for a while (as in hour-ish).

No comments:

Post a Comment