Thursday, November 3, 2011

A Contest

Sometimes I make stuff up to entertain myself.  Most often, I'm just running my mouth.  Sometimes I worry about this since the Bible says something about giving an account of our words in the end.  This week, I put at least a little teeth to my make-believe-what-ifs.

You see, I have two tickets to the Alabama/LSU game.  The game being referred to as the football apocalypse.  I was really unsure whether I wanted to go because:
1.) LSU games are crazy when they don't mean anything so what will this be like?
and
2.) the kick-off is at 7pm.  SEC fans know that means their fans have had all day to drink and party before the game starts.
On top of this, tickets are going for a gazillion dollars (its true.  Although, I couldn't break those state ethics laws we so desperately need.).  All of this was pointing in the direction of watching it on television.

But, let's face it, this is basically the National Championship game and I already have tickets. It's the party of the year.  And I've been going to Bama games my whole life and have braved out Baton Rouge more than once.  Why miss this?

However, who do you take when you have ONE other ticket?  My dad needed to stay home.  I have 6 nephews so picking one for this game would be wrong.  I am blessed with a lot of friends, but picking one to go to this game was too much pressure.  This is why I jokingly told a friend I should raffle it off a la Win A Date With Tad Hamilton.

Which led to a possible scenario where we may or may not have come up with applications and background checks and almost calling Paul Finebaum.  Then we decided to wait.  Then we almost texted it to Jocks.  Then I chickened out, which led to a possible talent competition where I had dreams of Fame meets Sweet Home Alabama.  Followed by the idea that our church tailgate could use some shaking up, so why not contest it off there.  Which led to brilliant ideas featuring dance offs and fight song singing and Bama trivia.  I was on a joyful jazz-hands-for-football roll when a friend made an excellent point - that this competition should be fair and objective if I'm really opening it up to people. 

So, here's the deal.  I found some Mardi Gras beads in red and silver.  I'm gonna put them in a jar.  I'm gonna let folks guess how many cumulative inches of length these beads equal (or something like that).  And the person closest is going to win a ticket to the game.  Then the rest of us get to wear the beads while we kick Tiger tail.

Yes, this is more than a little random and I'm not quite sure why I'm having a free counting contest for a ticket I could have sold for $800.  But I am.  If you want a chance, stop by the Church of the Highlands tent on the Crimson Promenade before 4pm on Saturday.  You can also send others this direction, but if you're really my friend then only send sane people because I may be sitting by them.

Roll Tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment