Friday, November 12, 2010

Miss Clairol is a fair-weathered friend

I have been coloring my own hair since sometime in 2006.  Up until recently, this had gone pretty well.  In fact, my biggest disasters had taken place when I'd paid somebody to do it, and you have to pay them a lot.  So, I'd mastered the home box color.
Then, Loreal went and stopped making my color.  This was really unfair since it was the only thing I'd found that was my actual hair color and didn't make me look like a goth queen. 
I tried one new color, and I thought it went pretty well, so I bought it a 2nd time.  Or, at least I thought I bought the same color, but maybe I didn't because I wound up with dark brown hair with black and purple snow leopard spots.  After several intense shampooings, I could go out in public.  Then, a few weeks ago, I applied the root touch up that I thought best matched my hair, but I was wrong.  This morning, I decided to tackle my tri-colored mane.  Maybe it was post-traumatic stress, but it was as though I'd totally forgotten how to color my hair.  Thankfully, I think it turned out ok, but I haven't looked at the back yet.  And I definitely ruined a tank top in the process.  And perhaps stained the wall a little. And I'm glad the bathroom tiles were already dark and swirly...
Maybe I've gone and got a grown up house and unwittingly left the cheap hair-coloring-able part of myself back at my apartment.  I think it's time for me to relent to professionals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment