Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bake, I Shall!

I just had a small ephiphany during my lunch break.  I had gone to Hobby Lobby to return the items I purchased for a Halloween costume that I never made.  While standing in line, the burden of my desire to make wonderful crafty things for everyone I love and for every Christmas bazarre I'm invited to participate in (strangely, 2 this year) was starting to bear down.  Then, I had a very grown up and realistic idea - why don't I just do what I enjoy and what I can do and leave it at that? 

Here is what I can do with confidence:
  • bake
  • make preserves
  • paint stuff that I'm told how to paint
  • sew if my machine works and my mom is there to re-thread my needle tell me what to do and cuts my patterns since I can't cut worth diddly.  Seriously, I got sent home with "cutting" homework in elementary school.  Maybe I should take this one off the list.
  • tap dance.  This one doesn't seem to be in much demand this Christmas.
Since finding fresh fruit can be a challenge during the winter, why don't I just bake?  I have decided to set my abilities towards 2 things:
  • learning to make sourdough cinnamon roles
  • making a variety of "whoopie pies".  These are really just sandwich cookies, and evidently they are a very northern thing to do.  According to their blog popularity, I think they are the next cupcake of the baking world.  They seem easy, yummy, and real.  I don't know how I feel about the northern thing, so I'll call them "Whoopie pies, y'all!"
  • I may throw in an occasional mini-bundt cake because I've got a cute pan for those and they're fun to experiment with.
I've previously posted about the cinnamon rolls.  The sandwich cookies come from my recent food blog addiction and the need to bring something different than everybody else for our epic work Thanksgiving lunch.  I looked at the list, and the entire first floor is bringing a variety of pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread.  Therefore, I shall bring Red Velvet Whoopie Pies, which I shall call Red Velvet Cream Cookies, Y'all! 
Happy November 10th.


(From Tasty Kitchen - under the Holiday section.  So what if they are suggested for Valentine's Day?  And, I'm substituting the listed marshmallow cream filling for a cream cheese filling).

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I'm thinking about making the pumpkin version of these "whoopie pies!" They look sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do! Although, a lot of the pumpkin recipes say to pipe out the cookies - and thatseems like too much work to me for some reason. I don't know why since piping isn't hard.

    ReplyDelete