Monday, November 8, 2010

Joy Bombs and Fireworks

I dragged myself to a mandatory training this weekend in a not-so-thrilled state.  I really wanted to be at home in my pajamas and in my bed.  Thankfully, God had plans to change my attitude.  The leader was so excited to share with us what God had been revealing to her for the past 3 months.  She felt that for the first time she was really grasping just how big God's love is and that this sometimes overwhelms her and she has little "joy bombs."  As she was trying to explain this, it made me think of the new Katy Perry video for "Fireworks".  I'm not necessarily a big Katy Perry fan, and I almost never see music videos anymore, but I had seen this one.  The video is kind of weird, but it has fireworks coming out of people to represent the good stuff in them.  To me, these joy bomb and fireworks images are very much how I visualize the joy of the love of God and the Holy Spirit radiating out of us.  There are times when you're just downright sparkly because you're in awe of The Love. 
It also made me think of when I become overwhelmed by God's love.  Buying my house has definitely been one of those moments.  I just happened to see it one day and it was everything on my dream list (except for covered parking) and I walked in and felt at home.  God even threw in a porch swing as an extra hug - just to be lavish - just cause He can.  And I love that the house was built when I was a little girl, because to me that signifies that God knew it would one day be for me and a place for that little girl to be safe and cozy as an adult.  For me, that's a huge joy bomb firework.
I had another one last night, when 2 of my firends gave me a housewarming present.  It was a Cuisinart 4 cup coffee pot.  I was so excited that it was mine.  I was the first owner.  It had a stainless steel carafe with an automatic shut off feature.  And it was Cuisinart!  They were like "Um, you do realize that you registered for this, right?"  I know that I did, but I didn't register expecting to actually get anything or have people really spend money.  I just thought, "Oh, wouldn't it be lovely and fancy to have this?".  But, it turns out that God loves me, and He also has folks on this earth to show His love to me. 
I pray that you are blessed with tons of your own joy bomb fireworks!

Image from:  firework picture link - I went with this one because it had a .gov & I thought it was less likely I was stealing

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome illustration of the love of God and how we can show that love to others! Great post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you friend! Of course, I wound up getting upset about something after I wrote this - and then I was like, "hello! Remember what you just said?" I sure am glad to receive grace.

    ReplyDelete