Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Company

So, I have officially successfully (I think) hosted people at my house!!  This is a very big deal in my world.    I only stopped to take one picture, and that was of the lovely Johnsons.  I haven't downloaded it yet, or I would post it here.  I was proud of myself for actually relaxing a bit and having fun and not making it an ordeal worthy of a Southern Living spread (which is the continuous standard in my head).  Although, my guests did make me stop apologizing for making them drink out of real glasses instead of solo cups, so I still have some work to do.

Thinking about having people in my home made me think of the Southern use of the word "company", pronounced "cump-knee".  I suppose that the rest of the world simply says "guests".  I guess you don't hear it quite as often as before, particularly since we don't tend to call each other's home phones or just drop by like we used to.  This has done away with the need to say "Oh well, you've got company, so let me go on." or "You know what, I've got company.  Can I call you back?"  Without company, what are Southerners to do to get out of awkward social situations these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment