Thursday, September 23, 2010

Real Life Glee

I was the opening keynote speaker for a conference in Mobile yesterday morning.  I had been up since 5am in hopes that I would be truly ready, on-point, and that I wouldn't still have morning voice at 9am (morning voice is several octaves lower than normal Lea voice). 

The conference organizers gave me a brief run-down of what would happen between 8:30 and 9:00.  They mentioned a local middle school show choir would be opening the morning (I think they were from Dunbar Middle Magnet school - not sure).  I thought, "Oh yay!  How fun."  But, I also questioned the choice of show choir at 8:30am.  The kids marched in and their teacher let us know this was their first performance of the year.  They started with a song in Swahili and then sang a gospel number.  They got a standing ovation both times.  These kids were amazing.  Here I was, thinking I'd make eye contact and smile to show support, then really use the time to look over my notes because I was nervous.  Instead, these kids blew us all away and I was crying!  Then I was like "Oh crap, I'm crying!  I have to stand up and speak now!  Am I just crying because I'm nervous and stressed out?  What is going on here?!"  I wanted to give a big group hug to all of them, particularly the brave first sopranos.

Thankfully, the lady that was next on the agenda (Deborah, a mentor of mine) went to the microphone and started with how the kids had moved her to tears and how she had not expected to cry right before she stood up to address everyone.  Thank you Deborah! 

Then, I went home and most definitely took off my dr hat and resumed packing up my yucky apartment (with a huge dose of help from 2 great friends).  I was pretty daggone stressed out by 9pm.  So, what was I to do but watch Tuesday night's DVR'd returning episode of Glee.  A day started and ended with show choir is a great day :).

2 comments:

  1. Let me know if you need moving help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you friend! I very well may! How do you feel about painting?...

    ReplyDelete