I knew better, but I tried to sell some boots to a consignment shop anyway. The whole process makes me nervous because 1.) it seems sketchy even when it's not, and 2.) why should I seek out rejection? The stores in town almost never accept things, at least not things that I would buy in the first place.
I thought it might be different this time. I thought maybe I could let go of some of my nicer things by consigning or selling them. I decided to start with a pair of boots because I forgot to wear them last year and because they seemed like the most marketable thing I had. They are a pair of barely worn brown crocodile Nine West boots - still in the box with the cardboard and inserts and everything. I wore them with my DC suits. The first store said they were too "business professional" for their clientele, but I could try another store in town (and to send any fake or real Uggs I might have their way). I wasn't going to put myself through it, but I was near the other store - so I tried. Nope, they didn't want them either. I understand they aren't necessarily this year's Tuscaloosa fashion - but a pretty shoe is a pretty shoe! And how do consignment and used clothing stores make it if they only want this year's items?
Of course, I told myself that these boots were much closer to what was seen at this month's NY Fashion Week than any of the items in these stores. I think such thoughts are mandatory in these situations. All the rejection makes you want to keep the items instead to prove just how fiercely you can wear them as a "take that!" to the consignment shops.
I think I'll just go back to giving such things to family, friends, or the goodwill because their smiles, the warm fuzies, and the tax write-off are worth more than the $20 from a shop anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment