Wednesday, July 1, 2009

To Self Tan or Not to Self Tan...That is the Question


If you know me, you know I embrace my paleness. I'm the person that burns through the window on a longish car trip. I don't really tan - and if I do it either has to be super gradual while wearing SPF 50+ or after having had a sun burn. On top of that, I'm one of those people that are really sensitive to sunburns and they're just plain painful and not worth it. I also rebel against the idea that tan always equals beautiful, because there's some lovely pale folks out there. And being pale kind of makes you different.


Furthermore, I'm a health educator. I've taken genetics. I know how UVA/UVB rays mutate DNA - and have previously compared going to tanning beds to intentionally making yourself a Ninja Turtle.


So, what's a girl like me to do when she wants a little color on her legs? I mean - it is summer and I want to feel summery. And, I always have dog scratches or bruises or something on my legs. I wear lots of dresses and skirts to work in the summer months and I do plan to eventually wear a bathing suit (which is a pretty big deal for me). I have to admit that having a little color can hide flaws and scars and makes the cellulite I'm not denying to have appear at least a tad smoother, which makes me more confident.


Magazines would tell us that self-tanner is the answer. However, you see, I've tried self-tanner before with pretty awful results. Even after using a scrub like they tell you to. Even after standing perfectly still for 20 minutes after an even application. And even after using the very gradual types for fair skin that they swear won't streak. Each time, I wound up using a body scrub everyday to try to make the unnatural streakiness slough off as quickly as possible. So, I had sworn off self-tanner for good. Until this summer, while feeling simultaneously very pale and adventurous.


I saw the Jergens Natural Glow Foam recommended in a magazine. It said it dried streak-free in seconds. But, could this really be true? I decided to invest $8. I have used it since Saturday, and folks, thus far - it really is true!! I have a natural looking color with no streaks - even in the sunlight! My knees are a little bit darker than the rest, and I appear to have been skipping the backs of my ankles - but otherwise I have no tell-tale self tanner signs!


I'm still much too fearful to attempt putting it on anything other than my legs - because that's just asking for trouble - but I think I'm sold on this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment