Thursday, July 23, 2009

Me likey

The number of beauty product options, and the money I invest in them, makes me feel so high maintenance and superficial sometimes. It makes me think back to the days when our grandmothers used only Dove Soap and Coty face powder to be lovely. I want to find the balance between the beauty of simplicity and the actual benefits of modern science that make some of today's products wonderful things. I also want to decide what I like and become a repeat purchaser of stuff that works, and not remain a mass consumer that wastes money just because playing with makeup can be really really fun (although - it can be really fun).

That said, I decided to feature some of my favorite products that are actually worth buying. Kind of my own "Best of Sephora", if you will.

The first, is the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Potion. Yes, it is $17. Yes, that is ridiculous. But - I love it. I first splurged on eyeshadow primer when living in DC, and I had a good brand, but it gave all of my eyeshadow a bit of a yellow tint. This primer leaves no tint and my eye makeup stays put and creaseless the entire day, which can be important depending on your job and/or your makeup preferences. For example, I had a really long work day that continued into a fancy nighttime cocktail party fundraiser for our college foundation (that included photographs). One of the other female professors came up to me and said "No fair, you went home and touched up your makeup!" I hadn't gone home, just used the primer that morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment