Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Arm Test


So, there’s this dress. It’s a very popular dress. Last Friday, two of my friends showed up wearing it at dinner, but in different colors. They told me I simply must go get one because it was one of their favorite purchases ever. Later, I go to the coffee shop, and there is a girl wearing the dress in yet another color. So, I go to the store and find my hairdresser grabbing 2 of the dresses for herself in different colors to go with the first one she bought that she just loves so much. There were only 3 left on the rack, and I was in a hurry, so I grabbed a black and a purple. They were cheap, I could take them back, and if nothing else – they’d make great bathing suit covers for my upcoming beach trip. Alas, I’m afraid bathing suit covers is all they’ll ever be because on me this dress is just a long shirt.
Too scared to wear it in town, I decided to wear it on a short car trip I was taking. According to the facial expressions of the old folks at the Cracker Barrel on exit 250, it is indeed too short for public.
Of course, this reminds me of a story. One summer, around 2nd grade, my principal created a new shorts rule. We all had to stand with our arms down at our sides, and if our fingers reached past our shorts, we were sent home to change. This immediately posed a problem for me, as I have never had short arms, but have always had a short waist and longer legs. I was in trouble.
My poor mother went to every store in Jackson and Memphis hunting for the longest shorts she could find, but none of them passed the arm test. Not wearing shorts was not an option, as it was summer in the South and our old school building had no air conditioning (and for some reason – they always retarred the roof at the most disgustingly hot time of the year – which made everyone more miserable).
Finally, Momma wrote a letter to the principal that included a detailed discussion of how my arm-to-leg-length ratio plus the added stretch of my big hands made it simply impossible for the arm rule to apply to me and thereby I deserved an exemption. Thankfully, this exemption was granted, my teachers were notified, and I was not sent home as long as my shorts were “decent” (as if they weren’t).
I should’ve known right off that this dress would not pass the arm test. Mr. Morris would not approve.

2 comments:

  1. You could totally wear the dress with some leggings. I do that all of the time if I feel my dress is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but then we get into the issue of whether I'm too old for leggings and if I could pull that look off. But, I just might try it :). Although, the dress does hit mid-thigh, so there could still be an issue with whether or not that's a good idea...
    Thanks B!

    ReplyDelete