
It has officially become hot. So, I am trying to take time to appreciate those brief initial moments of summer that are nice and nostalgic, before it all becomes one miserable and suffocating mess.
Here’s a little secret: I love that initial blast of heat when you get into a hot car. Especially after leaving my cold office. It’s like you can feel yourself suddenly absorbing all of it; in a good kind of way, not in a disturbing leaving a kid locked up while you go in the grocery store kind of way. During lunch, I just sat in my car for a brief moment before cranking it up, and then made sure my sleeve was rolled up and my arm was in the window. Not for the purpose of tanning, as I embrace my paleness, but to have that experience of feeling your skin sop up Vitamin D and sunshine.
I know that very soon I will transition into the realities of summer, which usually includes: feeling like my hair and/or glasses are overtaking my face in the mugginess, opting against bracelets and earrings at the risk that even they may trap heat, and getting frustrated that I attempted to apply makeup since it’s all melted in 5 minutes anyway. But for now, I’m trying to focus on the good.
Leah, I am with you! I love summer when it begins, then I think, "Why do I live in Alabama again?" It's the same with winter. That first balmy day is invigorating, then I'm sick of bundling up. I guess we need to learn to appreciate what we've got.
ReplyDelete