
Until recently, I have never understood this quote – at least not the first part. I even found it kind of stupid and annoying. I mean, sure, Sting’s song about it is fine and all, but I just never got it. I think because I approached it from “Duh – wouldn’t you know they loved you before you would love them anyway? Why would you love anybody that would need to be let go?” And, I didn’t really get the whole humans as carrier pigeons analogy.
Now, I see that you have to let people go in order to protect both parties. To keep you from hitting them upside the head, and to keep them from acting out in rebellion. To keep you from being controlling and to let them learn a lesson or two on their own or prove they can do something without you.
Sometimes they come back, but not in the way you might have expected.
With adulthood and human kind, come complex relationships of all types. It also comes with the maturity and risk to care about people and admit it whether it’s a really clear cut thing that makes a lot of sense or not. Somehow, this has to be tempered with the discernment of guarding your heart. (FYI – I don’t really have that figured out yet).
Last week’s sermon was on how sometimes God uses the messy and counter-intuitive to heal. He spit on a blind guy in order to restore his sight. And when the first spit didn’t fully do the job, the guy admitted it and Jesus spit on him again. I have never been very comfortable with the messy and counter-intuitive. In my messy bedroom, yes – in life and relationship, no, not at all. Right now, I’m hopefully anticipating my healing. Let’s hope the first spit takes ;-).
Photo by Laura Kok, Smashing Mag, The Virtuous Girl blog (discovered via Google Image search)
No comments:
Post a Comment