Friday, June 26, 2009

Priorities?...

I have spent a lot of time "back home" recently, which has led to a lot of check-in-on-how-you're-doin'-these-days kind of conversations. Here is how 99% of them went, regardless of who they were with...

Other person: So, you got a real job now?

Me: Yes...Dr....Professor....Lecture....Research...yadda, yadda, yadda

Other person: Well, it looks like you're keeping your weight down pretty good, so you must be proud of that.

Exactly what does one say to that? On one hand, it's like "Um, yes, thank you, I have to work my tail off for that." However, their motivation for saying this is not to compliment my efforts at wellness and chronic disease prevention. Really, they are trying to find a nice way to say "Dear Lord you're still single and spouting out big nonsense words but maybe there is hope left for you after all because you haven't completley let yourself go." I'm not sure that's a compliment. Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment