Friday, March 30, 2012

But Now I Know...

Sometime in the past couple of years I heard some pastor preaching on ignorance and knowledge and living a simple life and such.  I don't remember the exact quote, scripture, or purpose - but I remember the thought I came away with and I think of it often.  That thought being, "If I never knew how nice nicer stuff was then I would be more happy with what I've got - but once you know, you know."  One of the dangers of materialism is remembering how nice some things can be and that can mess with your mind.  I'm really not trying to sound all profound here, especially since I think of this most often in relation to makeup followed by jewelry and clothes. 

I thought of this when I had to throw out my eye makeup because of an infection and then tried to replace it with cheaper items.  They just weren't the same so I ultimately bought back my favorites. 
I think of this when I hear studies on the lead percentages in inexpensive jewelry.
I thought of it yesterday when I let myself try on a very nice skirt that I need not buy even if it fit just right and was absolutely adorable. (I left it at the store). 
And I think of it after receiving 2 Lancome free gift samples of this stuff:

It really does work.  And it starts at $60.00 for 0.67oz. 

So what is the moral of this story?  I'm not sure, unless you've never worn anything but drug store mascara.  In that case, the moral is never try anything else unless you're rich :).  And always know that you know none of this stuff makes you truly happy anyway.

2 comments:

  1. You're so right, Lea!
    I always try to not try nice new things so I won't want them. I didn't let myself have a Starbucks Frappuccino for ages so I would only want plain coffee, but now that I've had one, it's more of a struggle to order plain coffee. I was thinking about this just last night after my shower because I always try not to buy things that I'll get dependent on and won't want to do without - because now I've done it with leave-in conditioner! I can't even brush out my wet hair anymore without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo...leave in conditioner. Cutting my hair has allowed me to let go of my beach wave hair spray and my macadamia nut hair oil, and pretty much my whole arsenal of anti-frizz products. Otherwise, I'd be asking you what brand it was.
      Glad I'm not alone!!

      Delete