Monday, June 14, 2010

Milk comes in handy sometimes

I'm very much a newbie in the world of non-dairy living and never expected to be here.  It means I'm eating way more sugar but less saturated fat.  I'm delighting in twizzlers and gummy bears and snow cones - things that I was only minimally drawn to before.

I'm just starting to explore new recipes.  This weekend, I found out that you can't make jello pudding with rice milk.  I could have learned this from a simple internet search, but where's the fun in that?  Turns out, you need casein to make it set, and that's only found in real milk.  Once I realized the truth, I mixed my liquid pudding with a whole container of Cool Whip, which made it only slighty thicker.  I was determined to use my strawberries and my vanilla wafers and make a pudding - so I went ahead and combined it all anyway.  I couldn't have taken it out anywhere in that pourable state, but it sure did taste good!  Good enough that I simply had to eat it all within 48 hours.  Thankfully, the Bud's Best Vanilla Wafers are strangely impermeable by the Cool Whip/pudding mixture, so they stayed at just the right texture.

For those of you that can have cow's milk, I highly recommend mixing the French Vanilla Jello Instant pudding with this summer's yummy berries.
I got this picture from amazon.com - where evidently you can buy 24 packs of your favorite pudding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment