I had been hesitant to read Eat, Pray, Love. I figured it was full of squishy ideas that I wouldn't really agree with and be a tad too Oprah-ish (not that I don't still have some love for her). However, it had been recommended by numerous trustworthy sources, and I figured I'd give in to see the Julia Roberts' movie, so why not go ahead and read it before hand?
I must say, it is a good read. Very few books have held my attention in these recent post-dissertation years, and this one had me wanting to read on my lunch break. I finished it a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still not really sure what I think about it, but here are some things I've decided.
First of all, I did instantly relate to Elizabeth Gilbert and the premise of the story. I may not understand feeling trapped in a marriage, but I understand being a woman in her early 30s whose life doesn't necessarily look the way she thought it would. I know what it's like to feel beaten up, heartbroken, a little lost, and suspicious of the "American Dream". I understand the need to stop for a while and take care of one's self and go on an adventure. And I most definitely understand the freedom and healing that God can bring.
That said, I was right to think she would spout out all types of spiritual thoughts and advice - some wise and some mucky. By the end, I found myself wanting to re-read the book to tally all of her spiritual statements and then count how many of them agree with one another. However, I heard a great sermon once on how all truth is God's truth - and she does have some great moments of revelation. Every now and then there would be something spot on that I wished every Christian would get and live deep down. Then, there would be some more muck. Most of all, I wanted to jump into the book and introduce her to the Holy Spirit because I'm sad that her strict Protestant New-England raising seemed to never teach her about that part of the trinity. It seems as though he nudges her every now and then and she just doesn't know what it is. I think that relationship could have brought her a lot of relief earlier on in her life - but we each have our own path and I hope hers takes her there eventually.
One concept in the book that I loved is that of "pretty power". I've long believed that existed but haven't had a cute little name for it. I don't necessarily agree with the Balinese Meditation Technique of it - but I agree that smiling (on the inside and the outside!) makes people beautiful because it communicates God's beauty and love to yourself and the world. I believe there is life and power in this. And, I want to run around like a little girl sticking my fist in the air and yelling "Pretty Power!"
By the end of the book, I was a little tired of her - the way you tire of a sibling. You still love them but you kind of want them to shut up before they ruin the good moment. In that way where you're not sure you'd want to be friends with this person in real life - but you've formed a bond now and you'll always care at least a little.
In the same way - if you've read all of this - you might be tired of me :). So, to sum it all up - I'm still unsure whether I necessarily "recommend" the book to you - but I'm glad I read it because there was bits of truth in there that I felt were just for me.
Picture from: http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/eatpraylove.htm

No comments:
Post a Comment