I admit it - I've been avoiding the Gulf Oil Crisis. I think it upsets me too much, so I've been changing the channel or just reading the article headings and not the articles (aside from one about Gov. Bobby Jindal, who I heart a little bit). I feel like I can't fix it and it's entirely too overwhelming and I don't want to think about what is really going on. In turn, this makes me feel guilty. I know that if I were the kid version of myself, or myself in my marine biologist phase, that I would be livid and organizing fundraisers while spending the rest of my time personally saving sea turtles. Instead, I'm just putting it off because grown-up life seems hard enough at the moment without thinking of the impact this may have on my state's economy, families, and precious nature reserves; let alone our nation's dependence on foreign oil. (Have I mentioned that I tend to overthink a bit?)
However, today I desperately want to go to the beach - and not just any beach, but the Gulf. I need a vacation and I need the Gulf's beauty and its laid-back southerness. So friend, please know that I'm aware that I'm ignoring you right now, and I'm sorry. But, I love ya and I'll come around eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment