I have found a new and totally unexpected way to feel very single. I have just been asked to travel to the beach for work. Don't worry - I'm not trying to get sympathy or pity for this. The strangely single sympathy part comes from looking at the list of accomodations. All furnished condos with full kitchens or something of the sort. Very few options with just 1 bedroom. All featuring activities for the kiddies. All the information pointing to the truth of this conference and trip - that it is meant for families.
For most physicians, this conference serves as their annual family beach vacation. This was starkly apparent when my mother was hospitalized during last year's conference and all of our usual go-to local docs were out-of-town.
I guess people don't go to the beach by themselves. Unless they are having some sort of life crisis, and then they usually write a book about it. At this rate, this trip could make me have a life crisis. (No worries - I won't let it!)
I know what to do in these situations. I know you invite friends, make it fun, and make sure people see you working so you don't get in trouble for inviting friends. You do the fun things that make the exasperated parents that aren't getting to rest on their vacation look at you with envy and longing for their single days. You order (virgin) drinks with little umbrellas and take pictures for facebook.
And yes, you have fun and thank God for your fabulous life.

No comments:
Post a Comment