Friday, January 8, 2010

Keeping Humble

Yes, it is still frigid outside.  Today is supposed to be our coldest.  Which has resulted in something I feel like I go through at least once a year - the last year's sweater embarassment.  You see, those of us in the South don't own a lot of sweaters, or at least not a lot of non-cotton sweaters.  Therefore, we feel extreme pressure to pull out those 1 or 2 sweaters with a hint of wool or angora to wear on the coldest days because it is their one shot on being worn for the year.  But, wearing a sweater just once a year greatly decreases its chances to be properly laundered (at least, in my world it does) and increases the chances that there is a bit of a mustard stain on the end of the right sleeve. 
Which leads to days like today.  The one day I pull out the angora cowl neck sweater, which would still be too warm if it weren't for heat being out in parts of the building.  Sure enough, while eating my lunch (which means I'd been in this sweater for at least a good 4 hours) I realized that there were some spots on the right side of the collar.  And then, look, there are spots on the right cuff. In the harsh light of the ladies room, I notice that yes, there are spots all along the right arm.  Evidently, the last time I wore this sweater - whenever on earth that might have been - something splattered along my whole right side. 
The good thing about these sweaters is that usually the weave makes the spots easy to disguise to others throughout the day.  The bad thing about these sweaters is you still go into that meeting with your boss and you still sit there knowing you have spots down your right side.
The sad truth is, given my schedule, I will most likely be in this sweater until at least 10pm tonight - wearing my jacket when appropriate and opting to turn my left side towards the light when possible.  Oh, would you look at that, there's a spot on my left shoulder too. Hmm...Well, at least I'm not on television.   



No comments:

Post a Comment