I can’t imagine the devastation of Haiti. Tornadoes I kind of get, hurricanes I can at least begin to relate to, massive earthquakes I cannot even fathom; much less ones that destroy most of a country’s infrastructure.
My thoughts immediately went to people in my life who already had a call and heart for Haiti. How devastated they were and what relief work they were enacting. As one friend said, they already had a hard time getting food and water to the poor, and now their food suppliers no longer exist. I think of aid workers’ hearts for children they provide for and have not heard from. I see all of the pictures of the children on the news and cannot help but think of the children in Brazil and Mexico that still change my life daily even though I haven’t seen them in years. While watching the news coverage of these kids, I kept thinking about how in my blessed world even my precious mutt has all of her needs met.
It also reminds me that there are things in life we just can’t protect ourselves from and that money just can’t fix. Earthquakes don’t care how fancy your house is, where you work, or what clothes you wear.
While I drove to work, I tried to imagine what it would be like if every single building I passed was destroyed or cracked and if every person in them had to be outside along the street with nowhere else to go. Granted, in that situation I could not even go to work because I’d have to cross a large bridge to get there.
This may be nothing anybody wants to read, but I felt it would be wrong for me to not take a moment to attempt to process this shared human event and the number of lives involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment