I find that I most often wish I were married on days when I am without transportation. Not out of sadness, but out of convenience I think. It may seem strange, but I think it’s because it hits at the notion of a shared life and always having a first person to call. My coworkers are always leaving to do something because the wife/husband called, and that seems to be socially acceptable and for the most part overlooked when reporting leave time. However, it’s trickier for the single. Who should you call and who can justify leaving whatever they are doing in order to come? Thus, it is things like getting new tires that make me realize I’m single. (I also feel like married people are more likely to have recent oil changes, fixed washing machines, and groceries because there is more than one of them to run the errands or be home for that 8-4 service window – but that could be my whole “Grass is greener” thing).
These moments are also when I get to appreciate my family and friends that are in my life and be so grateful for them. I got that opportunity this morning when I went into the freakish frigid cold and found my car wouldn’t start. I guess my Southern battery wasn’t prepared for Arctic air. But, I could call my sister, and then her husband, who sent my niece to get me and take me to work. The whole process was drama free and took less than 20 minutes. Then there is the wonderful coworker that is bringing me back some chick-fil-a (!) for lunch, something that I love but never think to get for myself. And the other great coworker that is taking me home. These are the reasons why I’m grateful to be where I am, at least for this season in life. My life may not be full of big-city excitement and entertainment, but it is full of care.
No comments:
Post a Comment