I need to apologize to Vera Bradley. You see, I've long had a bitter distaste for this line of purses and accesories. I think I know why, and it's not just because of the label's bandwagon popularity.
The first time I saw a piece of Vera Bradley was during my senior year of college, and it was being carried by a girl named Kristy. She was on the cross-country team, which meant she thought a sports bra was always appropriate outerwear and all the boys loved her for it, including the ones I wanted to notice me. She was adorable and grew up on a farm in Kentucky and oozed this All-American sweetness that made you mad you couldn't hate her. Her quilted-wonder purse was with her at all times. I honestly thought it was a craft project that she'd made with her mom and grandma and I felt kind of sorry for her to carry it (but, of course, that really just served to further endear her despite my will). Then one day I heard girls talking about how jealous they were that Kristy was carrying that new Vera Bradley. Then I learned that craft project cost her an awful lot of money and that it was actually a status symbol. Thus established my disgust for the Vera.
That is, until today. Until I walked into a cute little shop and found the perfect match of bright patent green and quilted cuteness at 40% off. Yep, I am now the proud owner of a Vera Bradley wallet. I even bought a second one for my mom's birthday present. I gotta say, I never saw this day coming.
And, I'll be a grown up and say that maybe Kristy is the one I should actually apologize to.

No comments:
Post a Comment