I signed up for an undergraduate creative writing course following the suggestion of my NIH Project Director. I was accepted and enrolled, but only after The University waived the need for my high school transcripts, test scores, and undergraduate prereqs. Now, I have assignments just like an undergrad student, and that seems weird.
Here is my first assignment. I don't know that y'all really want or care to read this, as it is basically an email forward and it's just about me, but it's the only thing I've written for a while so I'm posting.
Discussion Board #1
Character Development Profile
4. Where you’d like to live in the future: Nashville, TN; Fairhope, AL; perhaps Colorado or New Hampshire.
9. Jobs you’ve held: childcare worker, clown, nanny, biology lab assistant, student center worker, graduate teaching assistant, computer skills teacher at a community college, skills teacher at a factory, special needs student summer camp counselor, radio personality, Congressional staffer
10. Job you hold now: Assistant Professor of Community and Rural Medicine
11. Your dream job: Food Network Star, and the job I have now.
12. What you’re majoring in/studying: I am a non-degree seeking student at the moment.
13. Favorite class you’ve ever taken & why: An Honors Cross Cultural Psychology Seminar in undergrad. We traveled to different places of worship and tried all different kinds of food. I went to a lot of places that I otherwise would not have visited, such as a mosque, a Jewish temple, and a Hindu temple.
14. Characteristic you most dislike in others: Humiliating others for personal gain or to degrade them.
15. Characteristic you most dislike in yourself: I am messy, and it’s very hard to get me out of bed in the morning!
16. Characteristic you most appreciate in others: Genuine people that really want to know you and how you work and think.
17. Characteristic you most appreciate in yourself: Adaptability
18. Favorite sport to play: Beach volleyball
19. Favorite sport to watch: SEC Football
20. Favorite character from a television show & why: Sydney Bristow from Alias. She was a graduate student that was also a black ops special agent that got to wear disguises, kick box, and kiss Michael Vartan. And she was played by Jennifer Garner. Need I say more?
21. Favorite character from a movie and why: Dolly Parton as Truvy Jones in Steel Magnolias. She’s a little bit of a Southern Every-Woman. She is a sassy small-business owner, seemingly underappreciated by her husband and son, a devoted friend, bluntly points out the truth when needed, and volunteers in the community. Plus, she’s just entertaining and gets to deliver great lines.
22. Favorite character from a book and why: My gut response is Miss Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, but I feel that is a clichĂ© answer. So, instead I will go with Miss Love Simpson from Cold Sassy Tree. She was a survivor that defied the small town’s expectations of her. She was sweet and pretty, but also smart and strong. She was a great balance of genuine soft charm and endurance.
23. Member of your family you like most & why: I’m going to go with my dog, Mathilda, on this one. She loves me, listens when I’m talking, and she’s extraordinarily cute.
24. Most annoying member of your family & why: I feel really awful to actually list out people, particularly in my immediate family. Therefore, I am going with my dad’s first cousin’s wife because she tried to coerce me into becoming a vitamin sales rep at this year’s family reunion.
25. Favorite food: Chicken and dressing with cranberry sauce smushed in without gravy.
26. Least favorite food: Mushrooms
27. One invention you couldn’t live without: Eyebrow tweezers.
28. One invention you would rid the world of: Tanning beds.
29. Favorite thing to wear: I love anything soft, particularly pajamas and socks, but I also like to dress up and feel pretty. If a pretty princess dress made from a fleece blanket existed, then that would be my favorite thing to wear. Oh, and cowboy boots.
30. If you could spend a Tuesday doing anything you want, what would you do: Tuesday is a day full of joy because it is Chicken and Dumplings day at both City CafĂ© and Mr. Bill’s. If given a Tuesday, I would: sleep until 9am, drive to Birmingham, stop in Anthropologie, go to Whole Foods for groceries and lunch, drive home, walk my dog, take a nap, pick up some Chicken and Dumplings from Mr. Bill’s, and then watch DVDs of old Gilmore Girl episodes while baking cookies with my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment