Last week was the orientation for the first year medical students. As part of the program, they had to go to different nursing homes and assisted living centers around town. I thought, oh – no big deal – surely, they have done this before. Then, I realized the apprehension among the students and faculty about how this was a new and daunting experience. This made me think about how and why I’ve done so many of the community things I’ve done that are now a normal part of job and why they just seem like something you do. Then it dawned on me, because I’ve done all of these things previously in youth group.
In order to qualify for our mission trips, we had to regularly cold visit people’s homes (sometimes for evangelism – and sometimes to collect canned goods on a scavenger hunt) and go on nursing home visits. In fact, as part of youth and ministry groups I’ve: caroled; taught kids all kinds of songs, crafts, games, stories, etc.; been a clown making balloon animals; been a puppeteer; played hand bells; performed in numerous mall concerts; danced all over the place; carried wheel barrows of concrete up and down a hill; built a house; smashed some toilets and tore down walls; played with livestock and orphans in the street; had life-changing conversations through interpreters; been served strange fruit by drug-dealers; prayed for an elderly woman in a hut she built in the rainforest; etc., etc., etc.
I guess last Friday made me realize how well ministry experiences shaped and prepared me for my life and career; not just spiritually. Had I not been in youth group, or been raised by my mother, I would not have volunteered in a nursing home and would probably have been just as nervous as these students.
Granted, I also did other things in youth group like shove my mouth full of marshmallows, throw lots of water balloons, win a screaming contest, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment