Sunday, April 1, 2012

Taco Calzones turned Mexican Pizza Cobbler

I finally joined www.emeals.com.  I was needing a hand with my budget and cooking discipline, and so far I'm quite glad I did.  I saved a ton at the store and actually cooked dinner.
The first recipe I tried was Taco Calzones.  They sounded like yummy little pockets of goodness.  Then I tried using the dry pizza crust mix and something went awry.  I think because I forgot I was to use Hot water to make dough.  So here I was with a bunch of taco meat and some really thin dough.
So, baking dish time it was!  Put the meat on the bottom, the extra cheese over that, and the dough over that and baked for 20-25 minutes.  Then I put it in a bowl and covered it with salsa and reduced-fat sour cream.
Y'all it was so stinkin' good.  I could have eaten 2 bowls. Next time, I think I will try corn muffin mix instead of pizza dough mix, though why mess with yummy greatness?
Here's a picture, not that my iphone photography will make this appear remotely appetizing.

In case you're interested, here's the recipe:
ground turkey
1pkg taco seasoning - divided
1 1/2 c hot water - divided
1 pkg Jiffy dry pizza crust mix
8 oz shredded cheddar - divided (I used extra sharp)
salsa
sour cream

Brown the turkey, drain, then stir in taco seasoning, reserving 2 T and 1/2 c water.  Cook 4 minutes; set aside.  In bowl, combine crust mix, 2/3 c cheese and reserved taco seasoning.  Stir in 1 c water.  Cover; let stand 5 minutes. 
Line a baking dish with the meat.  (I used a 9x13, but I didn't have quite enough ingredients for that and it was pretty thin).  Cover the meat with remaining cheese.  Cover the cheese with the dough mix.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.  (I did reduce it to 350 for the last 5 minutes). 
Scoop it out, cover in salsa and sour cream.  Eat good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment