Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Smoothie Smoothie, La La La

My awesome friend April shared her extra Magic Bullet with me.  Now, I am a smoothie making fool.  I must say, I am not always a smoothie believer.  They are often a masquerade of healthy foods - pretty to look at, but what's really inside?  Many are full of fat, sugar, and too much protein for a human to process (Yes, I have strong opinions on excessive protein consumption.  These feelings could be resolved at the opportunity to tell a large population of men that they are indeed not Trent Richardson and are paying a lot of money to add protein to their pee).  I'm also a big believer in chewing for satiation, and smoothies can leave you hungry after consuming a meal's worth of calories.

However, I do not get enough fruit and veggies in my day and smoothies are a way to solve that problem.  Oh, and making smoothies is fun.

 So, here is my new recipe. Many of you will think it's gross.  I find it yummy.  Trust me.
  • Fresh strawberries (1/2 cup to 1 cup - based on size of smoothie)
  • A handful of raw spinach (leaves removed from stems)
  • A cup of coconut milk (plain or vanilla, real milk if you can drink it)
  • 2 spoons of ovaltine (for chocolate flavor, vitamins, and minerals.  Or - because it has less calories and is cheaper than nutella and makes me think it's a milkshake :) )
  • A splash of pomegranate/berry/apple/purple carrot juice  (or whatever you'd like that would go with this)
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup ice
  • A pinch of sugar or honey (optional - especially if going with vanilla milk)
Pour it all in and blend for 10 seconds.

This is what I had for breakfast this morning.  I added a small handful of nuts since the above is a little low on the protein side.  Subbing plain greek yogurt for some of the milk would make the recipe above full of protein and probiotics and be a really great choice. 

You will see flecks of the spinach, but you won't taste it, in case spinach isn't your thing :).

No comments:

Post a Comment