If you are my friend, and you most likely are if you ever see this, then you have probalby heard at least one of my HIV/AIDS soapbox rants. If so, thank you for listening.
I could write on this extensively, but today I won't. You're welcome :-).
I will say that today is World AIDS Day, and that Alabama is part of the world. Approximately 17,000 cases of HIV/AIDS have been reported in Alabama (which means that there have most likely been at least 20,000 if estimating the unknowns). To get a better understanding of what these means, the number of persons with HIV/AIDS in the state have totaled the population of cities such as: Fairhope, Talladega, or Selma. If any other cause wiped out this many Alabamians, we would not ignore it, so we cannot ignore the number of preventable cases of HIV.
Also, it is important for people not at risk to talk about it in order to diminish stigma. There is at least one person in this state that falls out of disease management because she is still so afraid of people knowing her status. She contracted the disease from her ex-husband and is a normal, productive member of society that has a home and goes to work everyday. But she doesn't make her visits to her case manager or properly stay in treatment because to do that she would have to go places that people with HIV/AIDS go. And someone might see her. And then what? This makes me so sad because it means that there is a woman out there shortening her life because of fear of shame and condemnation. I feel like there is so much love and mercy that she is keeping herself from. Breaking the stereotypes that say only a certain kind of person has HIV means that more women like this one can live a longer life.
Today, I am overwhelmed by the mercy and grace of God in Christ Jesus, and that this mercy and grace is why I am alive and healthy. I encourage us all to make choices for life instead of death, no matter what that might look like in your life. It might mean getting tested or ending a relationship. Or, it might just mean holding your tongue in the workplace. Let's choose life all around :).

No comments:
Post a Comment