The lines of gender discrimination get so blurry these days. This morning, several former Citibank female executives were on the Today show discussing their gender discrimination lawsuit. I thought about how my childhood/junior high feminist self (yes - its true) would have gotten all upset about this. But these days, with more women being more educated than men, it's more difficult to find and justify actual gender discrimination in the workplace. Does it still exist? Most definitely. Have most career women experienced it? Yes. But it's all a little blurry.
I was already thinking about these kinds of things over the past week. I've had several blatant issues over the years, but I was thinking about what different treatment looks like in my job right now. My boss had checked in with me to make sure a co-worker was treating me as he should on a current project because it was a situation where gender roles could come into play. Indeed, they have been. As junior faculty and as a younger adult woman, I'm often left with more "secretary" type tasks in projects. In this case, I was being asked to type up minutes and submit them back to my co-worker, eventhough we are partners on equal footing. He also just assumed that I would do any of the administrative and creative type tasks because I was a girl and those were the "teacher-ish" kinds of things that I should be doing. In this situation, I'm ok with it because I admit that I'd rather manage these parts anyway and make sure that they are to my approval, but it definitely leaves a work imbalance.
Then there are the tasks I'm assigned because I'm the younger woman without children. However, I can't be too upset about this because it's the same reason I come in a little later and leave early less often than my co-workers. They get here earlier because they take their kids to school in the morning, but come soccer season they will all be gone by 3:30 or 4:00 in the afternoon.
Thankfully, more people have started calling me "Dr." when appropriate, so that's something.
Not sure I have any real point here - it's just what was on my mind this morning and I'm getting it out :).
No comments:
Post a Comment