I've always considered myself a music person (even if I'm so out of the loop these days), and I have been at times indignant and fascinated by the changes that technology has brought to the industry of music. (Yes, I still love holding a real live cd & sitting down to read the liner notes, songwriters, and musician credits).
This morning, my music thoughts were focused on Taylor Swift. It's true. Mostly, I was concerned that she may be confused and conflicted as to which song she should be promoting during her current album promotion. She was singing on the Today Show and I was wondering how she'd know which song to sing first. Radio Singles still exist, and are strangely more and less important at the same time. Since people have the option to buy just one song, they often buy the only one they've heard on the radio or while they are shopping at the Gap. At the same time, with an artist as big as this, releasing all the songs at the same time means people can create buzz for all your songs at the same time. So, she technically has one song and music video in rotation, but people are talking more about 3 of her other singles. Perhaps I've thought about this a little too much.
I also admit that I wound up buying her cd on my iphone. I felt like I needed something like that to listen to in my office today. I was a little shocked by how much it cost on iTunes, but then tried to console myself with the usual "but she's a singer and a songwriter." But then I realized that her writing all of her own music means she has a major monopoly and also may not be playing nice with Nashville songwriters who could use some of her royalties. Again - thinking too much.
I do know one thing - Taylor Swift is WAAAY better than Ke$sha.

No comments:
Post a Comment