Yesterday was a great summer day! I finally made it out to the Homegrown Alabama Farmers Market that is held on campus every Thursday afternoon. It's my fave because 1.) It's from the hours of 3-6pm instead of 5am on Saturday morning, 2.) they have live music from the Alabama Blues Project, and 3.) it's on my way home. Yesterday was their BLT (Bama Loves Tomatoes) Day, where they had free tomato sandwiches and a tomato tasting competition. And really cool posters, and I totally bought one.
One tent (Snows Bend Farm - I think) had gorgeous heirloom tomatoes! Heirloom is the fancy word for "antique" vegetables, or vegetables that haven't been hybridized or genetically modified. My mom collects the seed from these and grows her own, and my parents are most likely becoming official organic vegetable grower/sellers when my dad retires next year. So, I bought her one each of their varities, along with an heirloom eggplant. My friend Jen also grows heirloom yellow tomatoes - have to give her a shout out as well :). Heirloom vegetables have beautiful names like: Persimmon, Aunt Ruby's German Green, German Johnson, Cherokee Purple, and Rosa Bianca.
After the Farmer's Market, I went to my friend Jen's super swap party - but this post is already too long, so I'll save that for later. Here's some pictures from yesterday. Yes, they're all iphone pictures. Sorry about that, but my camera battery died right when I took the first picture.







I totally went yesterday as well. I wish I knew you would be there too!
ReplyDeleteWe should coordinate next time!
ReplyDelete