I had been waiting on it. And now I've gotten it not once, but 3 times, in 2 days. What is this mysterious "it"? That would be my momma's annual request for me to come home and "drop taters". You see, planting potatoes signifies the beginning of the farming season for my parents. If you've never planted potatoes, you do so by getting little "seed taters", cutting them up so that there's an eye on each bit, and dropping them in the ground. She's already cut her seed, and made more than sure I know it.
My mother views this as my annual "opportunity" to get in touch with my roots and my heritage and learn how to farm properly. I could say no, but I'd never hear the end of it. Plus, I don't really mind - it is kind of fun.
I'm always perplexed that this is the only instance where my parents refer to potatoes as "taters". Perhaps they feel more authentic this way? I think I'd like my mom to use her best british accent to call up and ask "Dear, do you foresee coming home to plant potatoes?"
No comments:
Post a Comment