Saturday, March 6, 2010

Bright Sunshiny Day

How do you spell sunshiny?  Sunshiney?

Anywho - today was the first truly glorious day around here in ages.  And it was way past due.  I had two choices today:  drive home to spend the day with my dad on his birthday and let Mathilda and I enjoy the great outdoors, or stay on my couch all day with the respiratory crud and just look out the window.  I knew I would regret not getting out, so I put on my fat jeans and a hoodie and away we went.

I think all living and breathing things were excited about the sun because I saw both a wild turkey and a badger just hanging out on the side of the road.  It's not unusual to see wild animals on my way home - but these seemed to be coming out of the woods to soak up the light.

When I got there, my dad was finishing up his birthday morning wood chopping.  Seriously.  He and Mr. Randall had almost finished unloading a whole trailer of wood.  After lunch (that I had picked up for us at Lisa's - of course), Daddy went out to prep the tractor to plow this year's garden and I walked Mathilda around the field.  She has been stir-crazy lately and in desperate need of an adventure.  I realized the field had just been cut for hay, that the ground was actually dry, there were no bugs and no snakes, and it was neither hot nor cold.  This rare alignment of circumstances meant it was the very best time to lay myself right down in the field.  So, I did.  For a wonderously long time.  I kept thinking, this may be as close to heaven as it comes here on earth - just one of God's little gifts to us.  And I loved that my dad didn't think anything of his grown daughter taking a nap in the field.  Along with the dogs.  It just made sense today.  As if on cue, we all got up and started moving as soon as we heard the bucket of the tractor lift, knowing that meant it was time for work - or at least getting out of the way.      

A little later, my mom asked me to go cut us a bouqet of buttercups.  These are very special buttercups because my grandmother (her mother that we never met) planted them on the front bank of the house ages ago.  The bulbs were spread around when the county came through with the road - so now they naturally run up and down both sides and along the ditchbank. 

All in all, it was one of those gifts of a day.  Where you remember who you are and intensly feel God's creation.  I tried to take some pictures, but my battery died right after I got there, so I missed out on some great ones.  Please read the detail on the store sign.  It is hilarious.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment