Drew Barrymore was on the Today Show this morning talking about her new movie “Whip It” and how it is really a mother-daughter story. She focused a bit on her famously rocky relationship with her own mom and how that influenced her to make this movie. Not that I consider her my guru, but she did say something rather poignant (that I can no longer perfectly paraphrase – please forgive). She said "When I was in my 20s, I believed in happy endings. In my 30s, I’ve grown to appreciate a good day.”
I think this speaks enormous wisdom to any of us with family-induced anxiety (which covers pretty much 99.9% of the population). In the past couple of years, I’ve taken family events day-by-day. The past 2 Thanksgivings and Christmases have been totally conflict free! Even a birthday or two! At the end of these days, I take a deep breath and accept them for the gift that they were. I can’t change my family, and they don’t always act the way I want them to, but man do we have moments of greatness :).
And by the way – why couldn’t Drew have been there last Thursday when I was there in person???!!! Instead I got 4 segments of MacKenzie Philips! Geez!
No comments:
Post a Comment