Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Grace and Ease

Ok, I have not blogged in a very long time. I've been planning this little thing called a stinkin' big conference (big for me anyway). That is done now, and thankfully was a great experience overall.
In the aftermath of all of this, I was reminded of something that really struck me a few years ago. You may have already heard me say this or tell this story, and some of you may have even been there, but I thought "Hey, why not let that be what I write down for today?"
A few years ago, Sela Ward came to The Hill to lobby for some new adoption policy. As usual, people were all aflutter that an actress was around and several people in my office saw her, but somehow I missed her. There were several stories about how nice she was, and that by the end of the day she was even walking around barefoot while carrying her heels.
Shortly after that, I attended a party and was seated at the same table as a Senator. He started to recount his visit with Sela, and he point blank said she was the most beautiful woman he had ever met. He said this with complete respect, and he continued to describe his meeting with her. Never once did he mention her face, her hair, her legs, or whether she looked good for her age. What he did mention was how she was completely herself and full of grace, educated and passionate about the issue, how she put others around her at ease, and how this made him want to work for her cause.
The lobbyist that accompanied Ms. Ward on her visits was at the table as well. He said he had never seen anyone be more effective. She made every Congressman(person) want to take time with her and listen. The Majority Leader even pulled out his family tree and they started discussing genealogy and having genuine conversation. Change began on her issue within the week. He had never seen anyone have this effect in DC, not even on his visits with the infamous Ms. Jolie.
I may not have exact words for it - but I know there is a big meaning here. It's something about the beauty that women are born with, that it's not the stuff they sell us in commercials, and that it is powerful when used for good.
I certainly have not contacted Sela Ward to tell her this story, but I think there are few better things in this world that could be said of a woman. That by being herself she was even more beautiful and that potentially made a dramatic difference in thousands of childrens lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment