Thursday, September 10, 2009

Football is Funny


As anybody around here knows full well, it's football season. The good 'ol University is preparing for the first home gome. On my return from Labor Day, I was greeted with football street signs and my parking lot already displayed the board telling us that we have to be out by 6:00 on Friday (aka - "This here is an RV lot and we make us some money on it - so get out!). When I left for lunch today, the port-a-potties were being set in place and there was a nice note on my car from Parking Services reminding me that I had to be gone by 6:00 tomorrow at the latest, but they would really prefer if I was gone by 5:00 or 5:30. I guess I should like the fact that my job kicks me out by 5 on Friday.


Seeing as I work at an actual medical center with medical doctors and nurses that treat patients, and seeing as we are in the middle of a flu pandemic, The University was nice enough to reserve a portion of a parking lot for us in case of emergency. But, you've got to know the password first or you can forget about getting in there. These are the high and lofty things we discuss at faculty meetings come football season.


Football also does strange things to the women in this town. Things like making us plan even now for what we'll wear on a Saturday in late November (I mean, what does a non-Greek yet still young-ish adult professional wear on The Quad? Especially if the sun sets early and it turns chilly, but I still need to look cute?!) and wonder whether or not getting a haircut at 10:00 am gives one sufficient time for tail-gaiting and other pre-game festivities for a 6:00 pm kick-off. It also makes us collect sufficent amounts of University themed serving items for those away games where we all gather to watch at someone's house and take appropriate game-watching food.


On top of all of the above, Fall really means I can forget getting all of my laundry done on Saturdays and my bathroom has even less of a chance of getting cleaned that day than it did to begin with, and that's just plain sad.


Regardless, I'm ready for some football!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment