Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Mashing of New Years Stuff

Hi folks. I feel like throwing a few things out of my head.  (Aren't you delighted?).  It's the very first day of 2013.  I usually feel so alive and focused and purposeful on this day.  I admit this time I'm feeling a bit of the cut and run.  I've read a lot of  tweets, posts, and books on fresh starts and finding your purpose and living your dream and right now I'm feeling a little lost in all of those areas.  Overall, I had a great 2012 - especially in comparison to 2011 which was just plain hard and yucky. But I feel I'm in a bit of a no-mans land right now - or perhaps more a place of stasis.  Extremely mindblowingly blessed, yet still fighting melancholy.  Constantly stressed and moving, yet where am I going?  Not falling on my face, but are the little and big successes pointing towards a goal?  Do I even have goals any more?  I know I need to let some things go, but what and for which motivations?

All hard stuff for someone that has spent the majority of life in purpose driven hyperdrive.  In the past, these seasons have meant something is on the horizon and this is my season of rest before.  I know to focus on the wonder of the joys in each moment while I can, I just have to keep reminding myself.

While sorting some of this out, here are a few readings I recommend:
  • Storyline by Donald Miller. I'm only part way through, but I already recommend it.  It's all about finding your own plot line thinking about what you want the rest of your story to be, and how that fits in God's overall story of the world.  Granted, I'm a big believer in storytelling and life as story and such - so I could be a bit geeked out here.
  • Several posts from Emily Freeman's best posts of the year round up.  I think there's a lot of truth and freedom in these to get us to what we're designed for:
    • Enough, or why we should all be laughing hysterically in the magazine aisle http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/enough
    • One way He never speaks  http://flowerpatchfarmgirl.blogspot.com/2012/08/one-way-he-never-speaks.html
    • In which you are loved and free (might read this every day):  http://sarahbessey.com/in-which-you-are-loved-free/
    • Always do your best and 2 other olympic-sized lies:  http://www.messyquest.com/?p=754



No comments:

Post a Comment